Skip to content ↓

School Direct Course

Our teaching school alliance is a provider of the School Direct teacher training route in partnership with Canterbury Christ Church University.  We offer both the School Direct (Salaried) and School Direct (tuition fee) route.  These are both school based routes into teaching for graduates who are looking for a practical, ‘hands on’, teacher training experience. 

The programme lasts for one academic year (September – July), during which participants undertake two high quality placements across our alliance.  Most of this time is spent in the ‘home school’; participants start in September in this allocated school and are part of the staff community from day one.

Trainees will then undertake their second placement of four weeks in a contrasting school within the alliance, helping to broaden experiences in advance of the NQT year.  This combination of placements makes up 90% of the programme.  The remaining 10% of the training programme is made up of training days at Canterbury Christ Church University. These training days focus on pedagogical development and aim to enable trainees to understand the theory behind teaching. 

As part of their placement, all trainees are assigned a subject mentor whose role is to support trainees throughout the year. Everyone will also receive weekly professional development sessions with a professional mentor in their placement school. 

 

PGCE Modules

The school will consider financial support for trainees who wish to take the optional PGCE modules as part of their programme.

 

Teaching Commitments

Generally, trainees will have different levels of school and classroom experience as they embark on their programme, therefore the teaching commitments of trainees will vary according to previous experience.

 

Courses Available

We offer the School Direct Training (tuition fee) and the School Direct Salaried Training courses across the schools within the alliance.  The salaried route is aimed at high quality graduates, allowing trainees to learn ‘on the job’ and earn a salary whilst working towards Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).  The tuition fee route is also school based leading to QTS but the school will not be your employer and is unsalaried.  More information about the School Direct training programme can be found on the UCAS website https://www.ucas.com/teacher-training-routes-england?filter=

 

Generally, we recruit for the following subject each year:

  • Biology
  • Business*
  • Chemistry
  • English
  • Geography
  • History
  • Maths
  • Modern Foreign Languages
  • Music
  • PE*
  • Physics
  • Psychology*
  • RE

School Direct Training (tuition fee) are marked with an asterisk (*).