The purpose of the new bursary fund is to provide exceptional support to students aged 16-19, who are experiencing financial difficulty with meeting costs associated with learning.
Students should apply if they believe that they meet the criteria listed below.
- Age – Student must be aged 16 and UNDER 19 on the 31st August 2016.
- Residency Status in the UK- A Student must have been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the United Kingdom for the last 3 years immediately preceding the start of your course for purposes other than receiving education. Settled means having either Indefinite Leave to Enter or Remain (ILE/R) or having the Right of Abode in the UK. British Citizens and certain other people have the Right of Abode in the UK.
- Asylum Seekers - Asylum seekers who have legally been in the UK pending consideration of their claim by the Home Office for longer than 6 months or asylum seekers refused asylum but granted support under Section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act will also be eligible.
- Income – A Student can qualify if their parent/guardian/carer(s) household income is less than £16,190 a year or you/they receive one of the following Department for Work & Pensions (DWP) benefits or Inland Revenue Tax Credits:
*Income Support * Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
*Income based Job Seekers Allowance * DWP Pension Credit
(Where these are the only source of family income)
- Special Circumstances – A Student can apply for a one-off payment or additional support if personal circumstances change during the year or if a student is subject to particularly acute need that could negatively affect their ability to study.
- Students have previously been eligible for free school meals and have chosen to stay on in post-16 education.