Equality Duty Statement
This document describes how the Governing Body of St Thomas Catholic School intends to fulfil its responsibilities under the Public Sector Equality Duty with regard to its students and workforce.
We will have due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010;
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who have a protected characteristic and people who do not have it; and
- Foster good relations between people who have a protected characteristic and those who do not have it.
We will collect and use equality information to help us to:
- Identify key issues;
- Understand the impact of our policies, practices and decisions on people with different protected characteristics;
- Assess whether we discriminating unlawfully when carrying out any of our functions;
- Identify what the key equality issues are for our organisation.
The governors and senior management team will:
- Consider taking steps to meet the needs of staff who have relevant protected characteristics;
- Identify if there are any actions we can take to avoid discrimination and harassment, advance equality of opportunity or foster good relations;
- Make informed decisions about policies and practices which are based on evidence about the impact of our activities on equality;
- Review our equality objectives to meet the specific duties;
- Review on a regular basis our equal opportunities policy, our special education needs and disability policy and our accessibility plan.;
- Have due regard to the aims of the general equality duty by ensuring that staff have appropriate information for decision-making.
Publication of Equality Information/Equality Objective
In order to ensure that we are compliant:
- The governors will review the profile of the school workforce on a regular basis as to protected characteristics.
- Senior leaders involved in recruitment will have attended Safer Recruitment and Equality Training.
- We will ask staff during the induction process what adjustments are needed for us to make sure any disadvantages are addressed.
- We will profile the gender pay gap and take steps to ensure we are not out of step with national trends.
This statement was updated on 11 December 2018